Do you need to have a backwater valve installed in Gatineau / Ottawa?
Count on us to complete this task professionally. Contact Monsieur Fissure via email/phone and get a free estimate of your needs!
According to the RBQ (Régie du Bâtiment du Québec), it is mandatory to protect sanitary fixtures against potential sewer backup. Did you know that a great deal of damage to the interior of buildings is linked to rain water and sewage backflows, and that they are the most common complaint with home insurance companies? Since sewer backup is not always covered by your insurer, save your money and keep worries and stress away by calling us. We’ll take care of it!
Why is it crucial to have a backwater valve?
When there is great pressure on a sewer system due to sewage and rainwater, a backflow may occur. When this happens, the backwater valve (a.k.a. check valve, non-return valve) prevents wastewater from returning to your basement. If you neglect getting a proper backwater valve, here are some of the annoyances you could be met with:
- Serious health hazard from contaminants and bacteria in the sewers;
- Costs reaching thousands of dollars to repair damage;
- Flooding (maybe not even covered by your insurance).
Also be aware that there are three categories of backwater valves defined by the RBQ which can be installed by a plumber:
- Normally closed valve: this valve remains closed and opens only so that the wastewater is discharged to the outside. A major disadvantage of the normally closed valve is that it does not allow air to flow through the plumbing. Therefore, a main collector must ventilate your sewers.
- Normally open valve: this valve allows air to pass and closes only when the discharged wastewater comes up. However, in Quebec, the installation of a normally open valve on a sanitary collector is only authorized for single-family homes.
- Squeeze/Pinch valve: this valve is made for floor drains. It stays in place in the pipe below the gutter thanks to the compression of an elastomer ring. However, you must check if your city authorizes the installation of an insert valve, since it is not always the case.
There are backwater valves of all sorts, of all shapes and sizes! It is essential to get an annual follow-up of your valve, ideally in early summer. Never overlook the importance of follow-ups because there may be waste obstructing the mechanism. In order to clean and maintain a backwater valve, it must be accessible. The owner is responsible to ensure its accessibility.
Price for a backwater valve installation in Gatineau/Ottawa (Outaouais)
The price will depend on the quality of the materials and components. If you have specific questions or need professional plumbing service, please do not hesitate to contact Monsieur Fissure. Thanks to over 30 years of experience in the field, we’ve developed a proven and reliable working method.
Entrust us with your project and sleep worry-free. With our competitive prices, our expertise and our dynamism, you will benefit from our team’s know-how during the installation of your backwater valve. Protect your home and protect your well-being!